Wix is an industry leader in website design with over 50 million monthly users. Both beginners and experts favor Wix’s intuitive layout and custom designs. Shopify dominates the online web store market, however, smaller businesses can feel overwhelmed by its overhead. Enter Wix: a drag-and-drop website builder with competitive pricing and beautiful designs.
Wix Design Features
Wix Artificial Design Intelligence
Wix created the first artificial intelligence in web design: Wix ADI. ADI learns about your website and design needs and designs a unique website for you. Wix provides design themes and e-commerce categories to simplify creating the perfect layout.
Wix Design Templates
In addition to an automated design by Wix ADI, you can change the template of your site to another theme or a complete customization. Wix has over 500 design templates for you to choose from.
The templates have customizable design themes like kids’ furniture and golf memorabilia. However, once you design your site in a theme, the customization will disappear if you switch to a new template. For example, if you designed your website in a non-e-commerce site, you cannot transfer your design to an online store template. However, you can add the Wix Stores plugin to any site.
The Wix Editor is a user-friendly, drag-and-drop interface. Unlike Shopify or Wordpress, you are able to place content anywhere on the webpage. Wix’s site builder is easy to use regardless of experience.
Compared to other drag-and-drop builders, Wix is still the winner. Weebly has limited customization and other platforms like Jimdo are more rigid.
Design experts may want to try out Wix Code. It’s an innovative, new Wix product that lets you build robust web applications with the beautiful visuals created in the Wix Editor. Wix Code has the following features:
- Database collections
- Data connection
- User input elements
- Dynamic pages
Wix Code has additional support to help users in site creation.
Wix E-commerce Features
Wix provides all the necessary e-commerce features in an easy-to-use package. Users customize product galleries, create seamless checkout processes, and easily manage online stores.
Wix Stores Plugin
The Wix Stores application is the backbone of your e-commerce store. The app has the following features:
- Sell an unlimited number real or digital products commission-free
- Accept multiple payment options (through 17 payment gateways)
- Promote your store through email marketing
- Ensure a secure SSL-certificate checkout
- Track sales
The Wix Stores app is user-friendly. You can enter in your product’s information and it is automatically added into the store. If any changes need to be made (like a product goes on sale), you can update the product information at any time in the Wix Stores app.
Wix Inventory Management Features
Wix offers the following inventory management features:
- Create product variants
- Create product collections
- Mark products with flags, like ‘bestseller’
- Automatically track how many of a specific product you have in stock
- Manually mark a specific product as either In stock or Out of stock
- Track inventory numbers per variant
Wix is missing the following inventory management features:
- Shopify will organize your products by type, category, season, sale, and more
- Shopify will assign barcodes to your products
- Shopify will forecast future sales figures for inventory production
Additionally, Wix Stores offers 17 different payment gateways:
- Fat Zebra
- Leumi Card
- PayU Turkey
- PayU India
- Manual Payments by currency
Industry leader Shopify offers an additional 50 options, which can be found on their website. If your customer base is largely international, you may benefit from the additional gateways. Wix’s other competitors offer even fewer options. Weebly offers 4 payment gateways and Squarespace offers 8 payment gateways.
Wix E-commerce Mobile app
Wix offers a mobile app for inventory management. It offers the following features:
- Chat with site visitors in real-time
- Manage your online store
- Add products to your online store
- Schedule appointments with clients
- Social network management
Wix SEO and Marketing Features
Wix uses Marketing Integrations to measure online campaigns, collect shopper information, and gain insights that can spark a marketing campaign. Marketing Integrations lets you use tools like the following:
- Google Analytics
- Facebook Pixel
- Google Tag Manager
- Google Ads
- Facebook Catalog
- Yandex Metrica
- Hello Bar
To use these features, you need to have the Premium site, which you’re likely to have any way to sell your products. The majority of these sites have a cost, so keep that in mind when budgeting your website.
Competitor Shopify offers over 100 SEO and marketing apps in their app store, however, both platforms offer the popular platforms most users would use.
Wix Security Features
Wix uses full SSL secure payments for all checkouts. This means your information will be protected with 256-bit SSL encryption. Wix also has PCI DSS Level 1 protection, which means they go through quarterly audits and assessments to ensure your optimal protection.
Wix Support Features
One benefit of signing up for an e-commerce site is receiving Wix’s premium support package. With this plan, you receive immediate solutions to problems via phone and chat support. If you don’t have the VIP plan, the Support Center answers hundreds of Wix questions.
Wix Ecommerce Pricing
Compared to its competitors, Wix has one of the more competitive prices on the market. Based on the first year pricing, a basic plan would be $44 less a month compared to Shopify. Here are some highlights each of the plans includes:
- Business Basic ($8.50/month): 20GB Storage, 5 Video Hours
- Business Unlimited ($12.50/month): 35GB Storage, 10 Video Hours, 20 Email Campaigns/month, 100,000 Emails/month
- Business VIP ($17.50/month): 50GB Storage, 30 Video Hours, 20 Email Campaigns/month, 100,000 Emails/month, Priority Response, VIP Support.
The plan that’s right for you depends 100% on your needs. If your site posts a lot of video content and sends a lot of email connections, splurging for the Business VIP might be necessary. However, if you’re just looking for the basics, Business Basic might work for you.
The Business VIP plan is most similar to the Shopify plan, which is $79/month. Here’s what you get with Shopify:
- Unlimited products in your store
- Unlimited file storage
- 24/7 user support
- Fraud analysis
- Discount codes
- Website and blog
- Abandoned cart recovery
- Free SSL certificate
- Gift cards
- Professional reports
The extra $44 will get you unlimited file storage, fraud analysis, abandoned cart recovery, and professional reports.
Wix stands tall next to competitors. While Shopify is the market leader, the costs may outweigh the features.
- Over $40 less a month compared to Shopify
- Beautiful, customizable designs
- Access to industry-standard marketing tools
- Inventory management on-the-go
- Secure web store protection
- Intuitive and easy to use website builder
- BigCommerce and Shopify offer over 60 payment processors, while Wix only offers 17
- Weebly’s mobile app lets you design your website from the app
- Wix does not offer abandoned cart recovery
- Wix does not offer a Point of Sale system for brick-and-mortar
The bottom line: Wix is a terrific option if you’re a growing business. While it doesn’t have all of the features of a sole online store builder, Wix will save you time and money that can be reinvested into your growing business.
— reviewed Wix on August 9, 2018, Read all 2 ecommerce features reviews.
Anthony Casalena founded Squarespace in 2003 in his University of Maryland dorm room, and millions of creators designed websites since its launch. Squarespace strives to empower people with creative ideas to succeed and it has done just that with its elegant website builder.
Squarespace Design Features
Your Squarespace design journey begins with one of the 70+ templates. Squarespace offers templates in the following design themes:
- Online Stores
- Art & Design
- Community & Non-Profit
- Creative Services
- Entertainment & Media
- Fashion & Beauty
- Food & Drink
- Health & Fitness
- Home & Living
- Professional Services
- Travel & Lifestyle
Each template is designed to be a starting point that allows for hundreds of customizations to make the template truly yours.
Beautiful web design aside, Squarespace is unique because it fully integrates your e-commerce store into the website so there is no need for outside plugins. Squarespace is also not a pure drag-and-drop website builder, but instead, works in product blocks.
Squarespace eCommerce Features
Squarespace has great e-commerce features for its price. Some unique features are the following:
- Integrated shopping cart: For basic and advanced plans you can get an integrated shopping cart on your website through Squarespace – not Shopify or another e-commerce website.
- Unlimited product variants for color, size, material etc.
- Unlimited products on the website
- Abandoned cart recovery: On the advanced plan you’ll get this tool that helps boost sales.
- Low transaction fees: For starter and pro plans, the payment processor fees are industry standard.
Squarespace has an integrated inventory management, or Content Management, system that helps you organize your products. Squarespace e-commerce allows the following items:
- Physical goods
- Digital goods
- Service-based product
- Gift cards
Squarespace is one of the only diverse website builders that offer service-based products. Squarespace also allows for Shipstation and Xero accounting integration for your product management needs.
Squarespace also allows for coupon creation to manage product promotions. You can share these promotions with your customers via social media, email, or website promotions.
You also have the freedom to customize shipping options in three different ways:
- Flat Rate (per order or per item)
- Weight (charge depending on weight or product)
- Real-Time Live Estimates from UPS, FedEx or USPS (only available for shipping within the US and for Advanced Plan users)
Squarespace only offers three payment channels via Stripe, Paypal, and Apple Pay. These payment gateways are still viable for international businesses, as they work with the following currencies:
- USD (US dollars)
- AUD (Australian dollars)
- CAD (Canadian dollars)
- CHF (Swiss franc)
- DKK (Danish krone)
- EUR (Euro)
- GBP (British pound)
- HKD (Hong Kong dollar)
- MXN (Mexican peso)
- NOK (Norwegian krone)
- NZD (New Zealand dollar)
- SEK (Swedish krona)
- SGD (Singapore dollar)
The number of payment channels is one of the lowest on the market in comparison with Shopify, Weebly, Wix, and BigCommerce.
Squarespace SEO and Marketing
Email is one of the best ways to keep in touch with customers and Squarespace is creating its own email marketing system to help you reach your customers. Current Squarespace members can use this tool, but not a lot of feedback has come out about it. You’re able to customize layouts and match the design to your website.
Squarespace also allows you to do the following:
- Export sales orders in CSV
- Share products on social media
- Edit your search engine descriptions for better SEO
- Connect to Google Search Console and Bing Webmaster Tools
If you’re looking to connect to Google Analytics or other more favorable tools, you can, but Squarespace kind of hides them. They’re in the Analytics area of your site.
Squarespace Backend Features
When you join Squarespace and pay for a domain, you’ll get free SSL security with 2048-bit SSL encryption. If you sell products with Squarespace Commerce, your checkout page is protected by SSL to keep your customers’ credit card data safe and secure. On checkout pages, they’re Level 1 PCI compliant and use 128 bit SSL encryption. These safety features ensure that your customers will be safe on your website and trust it.
Squarespace also has its own analytics app, Squarespace Analytics. This app lets you monitor traffic trends and activity and keep tabs on sales metrics.
- Traffic Sources: measure the impact of marketing on website traffic and revenue.
- Activity Log: discover insights about website visitors, including geographical location and site path.
- Top Products: view your best-selling products by revenue
- Purchase Funnel: track conversion through every step of the funnel, from visit to purchase.
- Sales Overview: gain additional insight into your store’s sales by comparing trends of the previous period.
Squarespace Help and Support
Squarespace offers very thorough troubleshooting and support on its website. Here are the different ways you can get help from Squarespace:
- Help articles
- Email, available 24/7
- Live chat, available from 4am to 8pm Eastern Time, Monday through Friday
- @SquarespaceHelp on Twitter, available 24/7
Squarespace is the more expensive option when it comes to website builders. For the price, you get an all-inclusive, beautiful experience from start to finish. Here’s what you’ll pay for with each plan:
- All the Business Plan features
- Sell Unlimited Products
- No Transaction Fees
- Mobile-Optimized Website and Checkout
- Free Custom Domain
- SSL Security
- 24/7 Support
- Powerful Commerce Metrics
- Inventory, Orders, Tax, Coupons
- Label Printing via ShipStation
- Integrated Accounting via Xero
- Checkout on Your Domain
- Customer Accounts
- Abandoned Cart Autorecovery
- Real-time Carrier Shipping
- Flexible Discounts
- Gift Cards
- Orders API
Squarespace’s most advanced plan, while more expensive than competitors’, is still $36 less than the equivalent Shopify plan. It is the same price as Weebly’s most advanced plan. The biggest difference between Weebly and Squarespace is how your site will look. Squarespace will take longer to design, but will ultimately be a better-looking website.
- The user-experience on Squarespace is excellent and feels modern and elegant.
- The full integration of your store is also a plus so you don’t have to worry about buying additional plugins.
- For more advanced plans, Squarespace is the same price or cheaper than its direct competitors.
- Squarespace only integrates with Stripe, PayPal and Apple Pay. So if you want to explore using other payment processors, this is limiting.
- Compared to sites like Wix and Weebly, Squarespace is more expensive for lower plans.
- The marketing and SEO are lacking compared to the other websites.
- You can still use platforms like Google Analytics, but it’s not as easy.
- Finally, if you want to use any external plugins, you have to add them through code injection since Squarespace doesn’t have an app store.
I’d say Squarespace is a great option for small- to medium-sized businesses. Website builders rarely have comprehensive e-commerce tools, and Squarespace has everything you need for a decent price.
— reviewed Squarespace on August 13, 2018, Read all 2 ecommerce features reviews.
Weebly has over 40 million users designing websites with the platform and has grown since its launch in 2008. Today, Weebly remains a user-friendly, drag-and-drop website builder focused on simplicity. Its competitive pricing and functional tools make it an easy way to start your online business.
Weebly Design Features
Weebly uses an interactive quiz to help you find templates for your site. Unfortunately, a lot of these themes aren’t as show-stopping as sites like Squarespace or Wix. The themes are still nice enough to look like a professional website. Weebly only has around 50 themes (Wix has over 500); and they are categorized into the type of website you’re building, like an online store or portfolio. These designs are responsive to mobile as well.
Like popular website builder Wix, Weebly also uses the easy drag-and-drop method. The interface is extremely simple. You can add the following elements to a page:
- Contact Forms
- Newsletter Forms
- Embed code
This simplicity is equally dated. The builder, while straightforward, feels clunky and heavy compared to other website builders. The dark gray color and small icons are reminiscent of an Adobe design program, which rivals the easy-to-use mentality. If the look of your website’s backend matters to you, Weebly might not be the best tool for you.
Weebly E-commerce Features
Weebly’s e-commerce sites compete with the other website builders on the market. Weebly’s e-commerce website builder has the following features:
- Create stand-alone product pages
- Create products with variations
- Share the product on social.
- Design a storefront page
- Design category pages to organize your products
When designing an e-commerce site, the different Weebly pricing plans become critical. The differences between the plans could make or break your budget and working with Weebly.
- Integrated Shopping Cart: When paying for the Starter or Pro plans, your checkout process isn’t under your URL, yourdomain.com/checkout. It’s instead under youraccount.checkout.weebly.com. The Weebly attribution in the URL can scare away shoppers from trusting your website. To get an integrated shopping cart, you’ll need a Business or Performance Plan.
- SSL Certificate: In order to sell products online under your own domain, you need an SSL certificate, which costs $70+ a year. With a Business or Performance Plan, the SSL certificate is included.
- Sales Fees: In the Starter and Pro plans, you’re charged additional sales fees by Weebly. These are waved in higher plans.
- Digital Goods: You can begin to sell digital goods like audiobooks or an e-book when you’re on the Business plan.
- Abandoned Cart Email Engine & More: When you pay for the Performance plan, you’ll get access to a lot of competitive features like abandoned cart emails, real-time shipping calculation, and gift cards.
Weebly offers inventory management for desktop and mobile.
- Add new products
- Edit existing products
- Create gift cards and promotions
- Manage customer reviews
- Add products via a CSV Excel file
- Transfer products from Shopify or Etsy
- Edit website design
- Manage the website inventory
- View insights for web store
Neither inventory management option sends notifications for out of stock items.
Weebly offers multiple payment channel options during checkout.
- Credit cards via Stripe
Shopify offers over 70 different options and Wix offers 17. Here are payment channels you would be missing out on from Wix:
- Fat Zebra
- Leumi Card
- PayU Turkey
- PayU India
- Manual Payments by currency
If international sales are not a priority or you are only focusing on national sales, Weebly’s limited payment options might still work for your website.
Weebly SEO and Marketing Features
Weebly has above average search engine optimization with customizable options like title tags, URLs, and meta-descriptions.
Weebly also comes with a 301 Redirect feature, where you can preserve old URLs from your previous site and redirect them to your new ones.
Weebly provides information on the support page for how to connect your site to Google Analytics and SEO tips, but the work still needs to be done manually.
Weebly provides an email marketing platform but in order to send out mass emails, you’ll need the Performance Plan. However, you can test out their services. Weebly lets you send two emails with up to 500 recipients each during the free trial.
However, when you send confirmation emails about orders, you can’t add your store logo. You can add a custom message to the header and footer.
Weebly Backend Features: Analytics and Security
SSL encryption is included with your Weebly site, however, the aforementioned integrated shopping cart relies on an SSL secure checkout. The SSL security is necessary for integrated checkout and customers may be wary of a checkout through Weebly.
Weebly connects to Google Analytics to help you understand shopper behavior.
Weebly Customer Support
Weebly offers articles and person-to-person support for any troubleshooting you need. Weebly offers the following customer service support:
- Support tickets monitored 24/7
- Live chat during business hours
- Phone support during business hours
Weebly E-commerce Pricing
Weebly’s pricing is competitive compared to other drag-and-drop website builders.
Weebly vs. Wix Price Comparisons:
- Weebly Business vs. Wix Unlimited:
- Wix comes with $300 ad credits, while Weebly comes with $100.
- Wix comes with additional apps ($108 value/mo), Weebly does not.
- Wix allows mass email send-outs on this plan, Weebly does not.
- Weebly Performance vs. Wix Business VIP:
- Weebly offers abandoned cart emails, Wix does not.
- During your first year, Wix’s Business VIP plan is $17.50/mo, while Weebly’s Performance plan is $38/mo.
- Overall, the majority of features you get on Weebly Performance are available on lower plans with Wix.
Overall, Weebly’s tools are less advanced than its competitors’. The Weebly e-commerce site and plan are very similar to Wix – just without all of the themes.
- The Weebly Performance plan offers Abandoned Cart Recovery emails, a feature not found on Wix.
- The platform is very easy to use.
- You are able to host a Shopify or Etsy store on the Weebly platform.
- Weebly connects to Google Analytics to understand your consumers.
- Weebly offers a 30-day free trial.
- The features are not as great as its competitors’.
- The backend of the site is not very attractive.
- Weebly does not offer as many plugins.
- Weebly’s costs are a little higher than its closest competitor, Wix.
- There are not as many themes as competing websites.
If you’re looking for a less expensive website that’s easy to use, Weebly might be the best choice for you. However, if your site does end up growing, transferring your store to Shopify might be what’s best for your business. The only way to know if Weebly is right for your business is to take advantage of their 30-day free trial.
— reviewed Weebly on August 9, 2018, Read all 2 ecommerce features reviews.